Abdominal pain, ultrasound shows gall bladder polyps and sludge. What is to be done?

Hello Doctor,
Am 32 years of age, 3 days back i had abdomen pain ultrasound report says Gallbladder Polyps and sludge.
Gall Bladder : Normally distended.No Gall stone.Polyps are seen ,larger ones measuring 5mm and 7mm .Sludge present.Wall thickness normal.No perichocecystic collection.
Earlier i have IBS problem and my endoscopy report says Hiatus hernia and erosive fundaL gastritis.
Now the pain is subcided, i do not go for Gall blader removal

Pls suggest me what is to be done,i consulted 3 doctors all gave different opinions am confused.

Thanks in advance for helping me

Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later

I can appreciate your concern.

There is no reason to worry.

Will take up two things one by one.

1. Gall bladder sludge: Sludge is a common term that is applied to an abnormality of bile that is seen with ultrasonography of the gallbladder. These particles may be precursors of gallstones. Means they may lead to formation of gall stones in future in some cases.

Unless there is clear cut evidence that this sludge is the main reason for pain then only it requires surgery. Otherwise regular follow up is advised to look for the formation of gall stones.

2. Gall bladder polyps: Polyps in the gallbladder are common and often are found on ultrasound examinations of the abdomen. Typically, they are small and do not cause symptoms. Polyps less then 1 cm size are not XXXXXXX (as in your case) and you can live with it without any problem.

In nut shell, there is not urgency for surgery for gall bladder, unless there is recurrent pain in the area with swelling over gall bladder.

Please get in touch with a Gastro-Surgeon for further advice and treatment.Again for hiatus hernia you also need regular treatment.

I hope this clarifies and helps in you taking an informed decision.