Abdominal pain, possible exposure to HIV, HIV test negative at 94 days. Window period?

Question
I was perfectly healthy until 9 months ago when i woke up with severe abdominal pain.I went to the ER after 3 different episodes of abdominal pain in about a 3 week period which i did have vomit and diarrhea during the 2nd episode only. My platelets were low at 53,000.We started to monitor my levels and i ended up having a HIV. My HIV 1&2 AB at 87 days days since possible exposure of unprotected vaginal sex came back not detected and i had an HIV RNA Quantitive HIV PCR Quant,Log 10 Hiv and the results came back Not Detected at 94 days since the same possible exposure.How accurate are those results within that time frame? I read mixed comments on the "window period" and accuracy of the test. About 5 months later since my abdominal issue and discovery of low platelets, i now was tested positive XXXXXXX 1:1280 and low vitamin D 22.3. Further test for Lupus ,Lymes were taken but nothing found.Around this same time my bottoms of my feet started causing me pain. I also got severe fatigue,body aches,white patchy tongue.My retest came back lower but still positive XXXXXXX 15.My platelets are currently 64,000 and feet still painful after 4 months now.Is it possible to have HIV symptoms and NOT be detected in the test i did at 87 & 94 days?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Heathcare Magic!
Your repeated negative HIV serology is convincing that you are not suffering from HIV because by that time these tests can detect it in good numbers.
And the HIV does not produce that much serious symptoms that early rather person remains perfectly well till that time except for slight fevers.
You seem to have some connective tissue disorder which is causing systemic involvement.
Please consult a rheumatologist and get a further work-up CBC, RFT, LFT, ANCA-C, ANCA-P, RA Factor, CRP, ESR, Urine routine and culture.
These investigations can help diagnosing your problem.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, possible exposure to HIV, HIV test negative at 94 days. Window period? 10 hours later
So you feel that my HIV 1&2 AB at 87 days since possible exposure of unprotected vaginal sex came back not detected and an HIV RNA Quantitive HIV PCR Quant,Log 10 results came back Not Detected at 94 days since the same possible exposure is enough time to be conclusive results? I've read that it may take up to 6 months to be detected. Are my test sensitive to get accurate results? Is it possible to have abdominal pain,vomit & diarrhea and antibodies not show up in the test because it was too early to be detected in the test?The only other thing i keep going back to is the night i got sick back in Nov 2011 and haven't been the same since! All these symptoms and things changed in my life as i went into a downward spiral. Is there anything that could've been contaminated/bacteria in the food or drink that could've caused my life to turn upside down and stay in my system.Like i mentioned earlier, i felt like i was 20 yrs. younger and then bam,just like that it all changed at once. Is there anything more i could be checking for? Over 9 months now and my stomach just feels off and not right! My last test 3 weeks ago my platelets are at 64,000 and Positive XXXXXXX 15. My feet are still bothering me. Thank You for all your help

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 11 hours later
Welcome back to Heathcare Magic!
By saying that you do not worry about HIV is the suggestion from your upto now anti HIV serology and the PCR, it is the most normal judgement, if we consider the rarities then rarely patients may give positive results later also especially the AB Test.
But overall the problem itself does not sound like HIV related.
You should undergo the mentioned work-up and yes you can Repaet the HIV 1&2 AB just to cover a rarity.
I think my advised investigations and follow up would be helpful for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, possible exposure to HIV, HIV test negative at 94 days. Window period? 3 hours later
Thank you so much for your time and help! Only a couple questions,Is it possible to have HIV symptoms (vomit,diarrhea and low platelets (54,000) 36 days after possible exposure and get tested for Hiv 1/2 ab (at 87 days) and HIV RNA Quantitive HIV PCR Quant,Log 10 (at 94 days) and it still be not be detected in either test?Should the antibodies be detected if i was having symptoms? Since i was sick before the 2 test would that mean the virus would be present and should be detected?Thank You

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 6 hours later
Welcome back to Heathcare Magic!
If one has the virus then it is possible to have vomitting, diarrhea,lymphadenopathy, tiredness, and flu like syndrome at 36days(>4weeks)
and Antibodies would be negative at this time due to effective window period.
Antibodies are not necessory even when you have symptoms, because the disease is caused by virus and not by it's antibodies.
You are not sick due to the virus so no question of being detected, still you are so obscessed so get the tests repeated after 2-3months and relax.
Wish you a great health!