Abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea. Found enlarged liver with elevated liver enzymes. Cause and cure?

Nov 2013

I am having pain in abdominal next to my ribs on left side..I went to th ER Thursday they did blood work,xrays and ct scan...Only thing showed up was my liver is enlarged and liver enzymes were elavated.But I am still having these awful pains and throwing up nausea,and diaherra
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, an infection of the gut has to be excluded. This may require stool examination to look for bacterial or viral infections.

Mild enlargement of liver and elevation of liver enzymes can not explain all your symptoms. These findings may be due to the drugs or related to the current infection.

You may require a course of antibiotics such as norfloxacin.

Please discuss these with your doctor.

If you have any more queries, please get back.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)