Abdominal pain, mucus in stool. Found swollen lymph nodes in abdomen. Given ibuprofen

Gastroenterologist
Question
My son is 5 years old. For the last three days he has had severe sharp pains in the lower right quadrant of his belly within 2-6 hours after eating a meal. The frequency changes, today it was only twice, Saturday it was on and off all day. we went to the ER yesterday and ruled out appendix but said he had swollen lymph nodes in the abdomen. Today he had severe pains 2.5 hours after eating lunch, had a bowel movement within 45 minutes which contained mucus. His lower right belly is slightly inflamed and tender to the touch. We are planning on waiting to see if it happens again tonight after having dinner before deciding to go back to the ER. Last night I found him in the hallway, unable to walk, due to the extreme stomach pain. His pain meds from the ER yesterday had worn off. After some ibuprofen he was able to go back to sleep within an hour.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to asnwer your query.

Yes, the first possibility is enlarged lymph nodes ( called mesentric lymphadenopathy) which is most often self limiting. Give ibuprofen/acetaminophen for relief.

The next possibility is colitis as he is passing mucus in stool. A stool test may be done. Most often it is due to infection and a course of antibiotics would provide relief.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, mucus in stool. Found swollen lymph nodes in abdomen. Given ibuprofen 10 minutes later
Our Ped mentioned something called intussusception as a possibility. She was thinking he should go back to the ER tonight for more testing. I am choosing to wait and see if there is another episode first.

Do you think there is a correlation between the timing of his meals and the pain?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
There are many causes of abdominal pain and intussusception is one of them.
I have just mentioned about the most likely cause only.
Intussusception is a less likely cause, but cannot be ruled out completely. In this condition, the stool would be red currant jelly like and not just mucus alone. This can be diagnosed with an ultrasound scan.
I dont find any correlation between the timing of meals and pain.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini