Abdominal pain, might have swallowed a hair barette by accident, no breathing problems or wheezing. X-Ray required?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter has come home from Day Care for the second day in a row missing her hair barette (small metal one). Didn't think much of it until tonight when she said she had a boo-boo in her tummy. Now I'm concerned she may have swallowed it. No signs of breathing difficulty or wheezing. Do I need an ER trip for an X-ray?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
A missing hair barette does not mean that she has swallowed it. You can ask her day care incharge about any such happening and ask her to look for it in her area.
In small children abdominal colic is a normal happening.
Right now you need to wait and watch for spontaneous improvement of symptoms.
In case the pain is sharp and intermittent without any diarrhea then you need to attend an ER for proper investigations.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.