Abdominal pain, loose stools, increased flatulence. Advise medication.

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi. About 2 months ago, just after my son turned 3, he started regularly complaining that his tummy hurt and his flatulance significantly increased. He had always been a very "windy" kid (I have 2 other boys to compare) but it is even more so now. As of 2 weeks ago his stool turned loose and he is now waking on the middle of the night to poop - again very loose stools. He is small for his age, but is showing a growth curve (he is 8th %). I am so worried about him. Please share any insight you may have. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 45 minutes later
welcome to HCM!
Reg the loose stools ,the following are the possibilities
1 viral diarrhoea- usually watery, non smelly,takes time to clear about 5-6 days - treatment is only taking care of hydration- no antibiotics.
2 food allergy- did you change the brand of milk,or introduce any new food ( even flavouring agents and good preservatives can cause allergy)

3 As you mention that he is a winy child , changing q
The brand of dairy products ( like powdered reconstituted milk rather than fresh milk,etc ) can be given a trial.

Reg his growth at 8th centile, was it there from the beginning or is there a fall now?
A high calorie and high protein diet is needed.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma