Abdominal pain, loose motions, no appetite, weight loss. Please help.

i have pain in the left side of my abdomen since few motion is loose.i have no appetite..this pain was there 3 months back and a doctor gave me some medicines and it went off. i am also loosing weight..please help me
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 59 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Pain in the left side of the abdomen can be due to a few different things. These categories include muscular strain, irritation of the pancreas or possibly an infection in the bowels.

If we think about muscular strain, I would consider this less likely in your case since this has been persistent for quite some time and you did not indicate any injury which may have strained the muscles of your abdomen.

The pancreas can become inflamed - especially in cases where someone drinks quite a bit. If you consume alcohol at all I recommend that you discontinue drinking completely for the next 4 weeks. Sometimes also if there is a tiny stone in the gallbladder it could trigger irritation of the pancreas. Your doctor may want to assess for this with an ultrasound.

Regarding infection, there is a condition called Diverticulitis which affects people above the age of 35-40 usually. It can cause left lower abdominal pain and sometimes fever. It is treated typically with 2 antibiotics given for 7 to 10 days. In your case this may be a consideration. At some point it may be necessary for you to have a colonoscopy. Your doctor may consider this after discussing your symptoms as well.

I thank you again for submitting the query. I hope my response has been adequate and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga