Ask a Urologist   »  

Abdominal pain, kidney enlarged, feels tired and sick

Bladder or kidney problem? :

I have been suffering with mild to moderate lower abdominal pain for approx one year now. Mainly dull aching.
I have had a colonoscopy and gynecological scans, which were fine. Then about 6 weeks ago, I noticed that I had blood in my urine. The doctor sent a sample to the lab and it showed a small amount pus and a large amount of blood. But there was no infection present. Blood tests were all normal. I was then sent for an ultrasound of my urinary tract. It showed my right kidney is enlarged and working hard. I had by this time started to get some discomfort in my right side and lower back. Since then, you can feel a swelling in that area on my side at the bottom of the rib and now the left side has started to hurt too. It also has some swelling there, but not as much as the right side.
I am constantly tired, fell sick and have discomfort in my sides, back and lower abdomen.
The ultrasound did show some granular sized stones, but the health professionals have all said that they are too small to be causing the problem.
I am waiting for an appointment with urology.
Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with me?
I have found all sorts of things, but nothing fits the symptoms 100%??
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later

From your description, it appears that you have been probably having recurrent pyelonephritis.
I really don't understand the statement " my right kidney is enlarged and working hard". It probably means that it is swollen because of pyelonephritis or has hydronephrosis secondary to obstruction in the ureter.

You need to be investigated further with CT urogram and this shall provide vital clues to your ailment and its treatment.

Till you get investigated further I will suggest you to start yourself on cranberry juice and if possible on alpha blocker such as Flomax.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, kidney enlarged, feels tired and sick 3 days later
All of the tests so far have showed that there is no infection present. The scan did show that it was swollen with hydronephrosis. Do you think then that I have a blockage in the ureter? What would cause that?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 55 minutes later

Swollen kidney with hydronephrosis certainly indicates that you have obstruction somewhere and that is the cause of all your troubles.

It needs to be evaluated further. A "CT urogram" will certainly help us here. I suggest you to get the CT urogram done in consultation with your treating doctor and get back to us for further advice.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, kidney enlarged, feels tired and sick 13 days later

Thank you for your reply.
I have has some blood test results, but am still waiting for my urology appointment.

The blood results were as follows...
Urea- 23.6 mg/dl
Creatine- 1.1 mg/dl
Sodium- 158.5 mmol/l
Potassium- 5.3 mmol/l

I would be interested to know if this would give you any more indication as to what the problem could be?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for writing back.

All your results are within normal limits except the sodium levels. They don't provide any clue to the diagnosis but at least assure you that you have normal biochemical function of the kidneys.

Higher sodium is not significant in the present setting, it means that you might have had a mild dehydration while the blood sample was drawn for this test. You should consume 2-3 liters of water daily, this will help reduce the infection by some degree.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.