Abdominal pain, inflamed appendix, proximal colon, fiber in diet

I've been having on and off lower right abdominal pain since around May 2010. The first incident it hurt fairly bad and I ended up going to the hospital due to paranoia. I had a CT scan done and only the tip of my appendix was inflamed, so the doctor decided not to operate. I was given some antifungal medicine and one other I cannot recall. After a day or two the pain subsided and went away. I'm not sure if the medicine helped or if it went away on it's own. This little annoying pain comes up every week or so then subsides and maybe goes away for a week or maybe even two. I've had one doctor say it might be mesenteric adenitis. Which I've read can be chronic in some people. Another way to describe it is that it makes my appendix area feel warm. There are no other side effects. I've had another doctor say it might also be linked to costochondritis. Or maybe it's a yeast infection. I think a moderate amount of alcohol upsets it or brings it on, but I've stopped drinking for a while and still have it subsiding and coming back to an annoying level of pain. I've recently been eating a lot of yougurts (Activa) and it seems to help lessen the pain. So I don't know if I need to eat more yogurt or take a pill that contains those helpful active cultures. Also, one other way to describe it is that if it's really annoying me, sometimes where it's difficult to sleep, it seems a little tender (the skin does). One last note to add: I smoked marijuana off and on fall 2008 to spring 2009...perhaps twice to three times a week. Stopped doing that for a while... to maybe once every three months. Last May (2010) I smoked and the problem came on when coming down from a high. I have not smoked since last November and don't plan to anymore, but still have this annoying pain. Please help. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

From the history provided it is unclear what your condition might be. But here are a few conditions that could be include - Chronic appendicitis, Enteritis, Peritonitis or CT scan to see if the changes have resolved.

In addition if the severity of symptoms have increased, than before additional tests like endoscopy or barium studies might be useful.

Good to listen that Yogurt helps. continue it and no harm. In the mean time, you can continue to use probiotic supplements like Activa, for relief of your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, inflamed appendix, proximal colon, fiber in diet 2 hours later
It's been a while since I've been to the doctor and I've been thinking about this recently, so I've actually remembered a few other symptoms I should of mentioned.

Occasionally, when it get frustratingly painful, which does not happen a lot. Maybe like four times since last May, there is a flatulence/gassy type sound feel when pressing in the appendix area. Also, a little bit of white mucus in stool when it hurts like that.

The symptoms have never increased though, just what I've mentioned. Sorry for not mentioning these last two symptoms before.

Is there anything I could implement in my diet that would presumably be safe to try for a few days or so that could possibly help? I already drink a lot of water, but know I should get more fiber.

I may start looking at getting another CT scan though.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 56 minutes later

The presence of the above symptoms including the mucus in the stools are indicators of persistent inflammation in the appendix and / or proximal colon. The CT might definitely be helpful to determining the cause and site specifically. Treatment might be medically with antibiotics and if needed a surgical debridement might be helpful.

In addition to probiotics, lots of water and fiber - you might consider including Incorporate into your diet XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, legumes, oatmeal, apples, figs, prunes, cranberries, XXXXXXX sweet potatoes, barley, cabbage and carrots.

Dairy products stimulate secretions by the mucus membranes, which places stress on the liver and intestines. Milk, cheese, ice cream and cream actually suppress the entire immune system. Replace these foods with alternatives like soy milk, almond cheese and coconut ice cream.

Incorporating such minor changes might be very helpful.

I hope this helps.