Abdominal pain, got diarrhea with blood in it. took imodium. Should I consult a doctor?

Sep 2012

Diarrhea came on 8 hours post a meal of pizza with ice cream for dessert. 8 hours later still have light diarrhea with some blood, lower abdominal cramps but no nausea. I have taken Imodium, should I seek other help or wait to see if it clears.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 39 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you are suffering from bacterial diarrhea. It is complicated with presence of blood.

Immodium is an antidiarrheal agent. It just decreases diarrhea. But, it do not have any effect on bacterial growth.

So, to prevent bacterial infecteion and disease progression, you need a broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin or cefpodoxime group of drug.

Beside this, you should take adequate amount of water. It would be better to have ORS.

To decrease abdominal cramps, you can take antispasmodic agents.

A pantoprazole group of drug should be taken. An enzyme solution should also be considered.

If you feel any weakness, muscle cramp, increased diarrhea, you should go to Emergency department of a hospital.

Lastly, consult with your treating doctor or general physician for detailed prescription.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.