Abdominal pain, fever, fatigue, belly button tenderness, nausea, headache, dry eyes. Any idea?

I've been having terrible colicky pain in my lower abdominals on and off for 3 years now. They use to come every few months, now it's about once a month. They last for 12 -72 hours. More recently I've been seeming more down during and after these episodes. I've had a low grade fever everytime these happen. The last few weeks I've had this temp 90% of the time, fatigue, tenderness right next to my belly button, shooting pains that come and go in my right lower quadrant, nausea, and a headache over my eyes. My eyes are also extremely dry in the morning. I have to wait a few moments before opening them, trying to get them lubricated. I have been diagnosed with sacriolitis, and also get a soar bottom. mostly above the anus and higher. I soak in epson baths which seem to make the pain go away. I've had a clean endoscopy, and colonoscopy. Had all blood work come back pretty much normal. My GI doc, will not return my phone calls. I've seen him twice. He did a CT and colonoscopy the day of and the next. I've called twice and left a message with his nurse. It's been over a week, and I have not heard back and I feel worse. Not sure what to do. I live in a smaller town. We don't have a GI here, and the one I did see I was referred to 2 1/2 hours away. ANy idea what I may be dealing with or what I should do?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
Periumbilical colicky pain is suggestive of small bowel involvement. A small bowel disease with sacroileitis can occur in Crohn's disease. This is usually associated with diarrhoea and weight loss. Anal fissures and perianal pain can occur with crohn's disease.
On a CT crohns can show bowel thickening, increased contrast uptake, increased mesenteric vascularity and some lymph nodes.
However small bowel related pains can also occur because of pain killers taken for sacro ileitis.
I would suggest you to do stool routine examinations on three ocassions, serum CRP and wait for the CT results
Follow-up: Abdominal pain, fever, fatigue, belly button tenderness, nausea, headache, dry eyes. Any idea? 39 minutes later
The ct looked normal. I rarely take pain killers & the colicy pain came before the SI stuff. My pain by my bellybutton is worse today, small swelling there as well, hurts when i bend over, have the low grade temp, nausea, &blood shot eyes. Could it still be crohns or what else could it be? Ive seen online the a lot of my symptoms match what crohns is like in the jejenum, not sure if these tests would be harder to determine that
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later
Hi and thanks for the follow up
Intestinal involvement in Crohns can precede, coincide or follow sacroileitis but this history negates the pain killer theory. Hence go ahead and do the stool routine examinations on three ocassions, serum CRP and later you can decide on capsule endoscopy or other tests based on these results.
Normally you don't have a visible abdominal wall swelling in Crohn's disease. Hence see your GP to clarify on this issue.