Abdominal pain during sex, discomfort urinatingg, heavy periods. Family history of deformed cells. Could it be related?

Infertility Specialist
Hi I've been getting pain in my lower abdomen which is unbearable during sex that I can't do it. It comes on randomly sometimes. For the last 2 days the pain refuses to go but is dull. I have discomfort urinating. My periods are very heavy and painful but stop and start. My mums had deformed cells and had them removed. Could it be related? Ive been trying to conceive for 8 months but had no luck also done a fertility test called fertilcare but it was negative im 18 years old. Its being going on for a year and had an ultrasound and blood test which were clear.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 36 minutes later

I understand it is extremely painful for you to face the present problem. Let me help you out as much as I can. Following are my observations and comments for you:

1) The symptoms what you describe are suggestive of severe UTI). Good news is that it can be effectively treated.

2) Other possibility is endometriosis; but ultrasound has been done which has ruled out that possibility. Please request another Transvaginal scan (TVS) specifically looking for endometriosis.

Please follow the advice I am writing:

1) Give the early morning sample of urine for Microscopic examination urine analysis & urine culture / sensitivity. You can take appropriate antibiotic depending on the report. In addition drink plenty of fluids. Cranberry juice might also help you.

2) For infertility part, I suggest two tests to start with:
First get semen analysis of your male partner to check sperm count and other semen parametes.
Second get hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to evaluate patency of your fallopian tubes (which carry your egg from ovary to uterus). These 2 simple tests will rule out majority of causes of infertility.

So please get Urine tests as I described above to treat your pain. If pain persists after getting treatment of UTI, lets go into more detailed evaluation of endometriosis.

I hope I answered your question. I will be glad to answer if any more queries you have.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Infertility specialist
Follow-up: Abdominal pain during sex, discomfort urinatingg, heavy periods. Family history of deformed cells. Could it be related? 9 hours later
Your saying that an ultrasound should find endometriosis however I was told the only way to find it is through a laparoscopy? Thanks for the other advice I will contact my doctor on Monday
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Large endometriotic lesions (chocolate cysts of ovary) are diagnosed easily by ultrasound. Hence, I advised an ultrasound of the pelvic region which is non invasive, easily available & least expensive.

Laparoscopy is useful for smaller endometriotic lesions.
I hope I have answered your query.
Please accept my answer if you have no more queries.