Abdominal pain due to ovarian cysts. Taking aviane pill. Pain persisting. Advice?

Hi I am 43 years old and a mother of three,and was recently diagnosed having two small ovarian cysts causing severe pain after my period, my doctor recommented to go on the pill continiously (aviane) to stop my period altogether which is fine with me althoughI have never been on a contaceptive before. Now I took the first pill the day my period started as told by my doctor, it has been two weeks now and my flow is still strong like in the first days. Normally my period lasted 4-5 days. Should I be worried or is my body out of wack from taking the pill?
This is to add to my question above.The pain starts 1 1/2 weeks after my period ends and lasts until I'm in my third day of my period. Since I started the pill the pain is still there which normally goes away.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 hours later

Firstly the size of the ovarian cysts that you have is pretty small. Cysts of this size should not be causing you such pain. The pills that you are on also will not cause any pain. Their function is to dissolve the cysts which may happen if you are on the pill for 3-6 cycles.

The pain that you have could be due to other pathological causes like adenomyosis, endometriosis, fibroids, etc. You need to continue the course of the prescribed contraceptive pills. Your cycles will stop eventually after 1-2 cycles of the pill.

Next I suggest you to repeat an ultrasound after 3 months if you have had one recently.

You may try some painkillers for the pain. And if the flow doesn’t stop then you may need hormones for better control. In addition, getting your thyroid hormones checked will also be useful in treating you completely.

Discuss further about these tests with your gynecologist.

Finally since you are 43 perimenopausal changes can cause some hormonal imbalance which can lead to such experiences.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have further queries.