Abdominal pain, done blood test. Please advise

I am working as a administrator in a company . sometimes i am feeling small pain on my abdomen under the lower right rib cage. today i had done a blood test which shows my Total cholesterol level is 212 Mg/DL and AST (GOT) is 37U/L, ALT(GPT) is 66U/L.
Please advice me.
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 5 hours later

Based on your history and Blood Test findings, it is clear that you have condition called Hepatic Steatosis (Fatty Liver) with Steatohepatitis (Inflammation of the Liver due to Fat Accumulation).  

Till recently, accumulation of fat in liver was considered a benign condition. Even medical professionals were uncertain about the consequences of such a condition. However, now it is known that fat accumulation in liver can cause liver injury and damage. Such a damage is manifest in initial stages as slight elevation of Liver Enzymes [SGOT(AST) and SGPT(ALT)].  

The common causes of such a condition are, Diabetes or Impaired Sugars, Overweight and Obesity, High Cholesterol, Alcohol Intake and Sedentary Life.   There is no specific treatment for Fatty Liver.

You should get yourself evaluated for Blood Sugars. Regular Exercise and Weight Loss is the only way you can prevent the fat from accumulating in the liver and restrict the damage. Your cholesterol level is slightly high and would also improve with diet and exercise. You must reduce your fat intake in diet.

The pains you are experiencing is related to the fatty liver and would also improve gradually. It is a reversible condition and the liver will recover completely once these factors are corrected.  

Hope this answers your question.  

Do get back if you need any further information.  

Dr Kiran