Abdominal pain, diarrhea, blood in stools. Had hysterectomy for uterine cancer. Should I go to the doctor?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I had debilitating pains in my abdomen all night and into this morning, with bouts of diarrhea. Although the diarrhea passed, the pains continued. The last few times I when to the bathroom, I passed some bloody matter - this happened 4 times at intervals of a few hours. It just happened again this evening. The pains have subsided somewhat. I don't know if I should go to the emergency room or can I wait for to see my doctor on Monday? Two months ago I had a hysterectomy for a 1A cancer of the uterus. No complications or follow up treatment. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later

Yes, you should report to the ER immediately.

You require to attend the ER immediately. A proper physical examination followed by proctoscopic examination needs to be performed. If required this should be followed by imaging.

The main priority is to rule out malignant extension. Once that is ruled out then other causes such as infections or inflammatory bowel disease can be looked for.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have need any more assistance.

With regards