Abdominal pain, burning sensation in chest. Help

i am facing pain at umblical area and burning sensation in chest.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

You are having pain in umbilical area and burning sensation in chest. I would be able to understand the problem better if you can provide additional details so please do not mind in answering the following questions:

1. Since how long are you having the pain?
2. Is it continuous or intermittent?
3. Is there any other symptom like vomiting, diarrhea, etc?
4. Is there any relation of pain with meals?
5. Do you take any alcohol?

In general such a type of pain is commonly seen because of peptic ulcer or condition known as Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). I would advise you to get the following investigations done (if it is not been done yet)
1. An ECG
2. An ultrasound of the abdomen
3. Serum amylase / Serum lipase (blood tests)

These tests would easily be available nearby. In the meanwhile I would advise you to take a 'proton pump inhibitor' which can be prescribed to you by your family doctor or any nearby doctor. It is also advisable to be checked up by a nearby doctor for a physical examination as soon as possible.

Revert back with the results of the reports.

If the pain is not relived even by the drug I would suggest you to consult a nearest gastroenterologist for an upper GI endoscopy by which we can have a look at the inside of you abdomen and see for any ulcer or gastric erosion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani