Abdominal pain below rib cage to center of body post eating. Taking medicine for skin infection. Side effects?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have abdominal pain after I eat below my left rib cage to the center of my body, I was on an antibiotic for 3 weeks for an infection to my skin? Could this be the after affects of taking the antibiotic?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Yes! long term antibiotics can cause a significant alteration in the bacterial flora . This can lead to malabsorption, abdominal pain and loose motions. The treatment would be to stop antibiotics and start probiotics or cultures in the form of buttermilk or yoghurt. It will take a few days to perhaps a few weeks for the bowel to regain normalcy. I hope this answers your query.