Abdominal pain after eating fatty and spicy foods, indigestion, gastric problems, stools have foul smell, tests normal

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
when i eat fatty and spicy foods, i get abdominal pain which stays for hours. This pain usually happens during night. I also suffer from indigestion and gastric problems regularly. The stools float during the pain and has foul smell. I got my liver and kidney checked with Ultra sonic scan. All the tests were normal. I m suffering from this pain since 8 years, consulted many doctors and got tested. They suggested nothing but not to eat these sort of foods. Healthy and non greased foods doesnt trouble me.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

From your history, the symptoms appear to be due to malabsorption.

I would suggest the following:
1. Regular time for meals
2. Avoid fat XXXXXXX foods
3. Avoid refined carbohydrates or reduce it to below minimum
4. Stop eating spicy foods for the time being. Resort to amore bland type of meal.
5. Drink plenty of water
6. Increase the intake of probiotics like yogurt which will aid in digestion.
7. Mild coating agents like sucralfate for a period of 3 weeks
8. Start enzyme preparations which will aid in digestion but for not more that 6 weeks.

If with these measure do not get relieve your symptoms over the next 6-8 weeks then you should consider endoscopy.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

With Regards