Abdominal pain, abnormal result for SGPT and gamma gt

Hi My daughter who is 21 years old was suffering from abdominal pain and her test results showed two abnormal results.
gamma gt: 73 U/L ( which in our country says it should be -31)
and SGPT: 43. Should I be worried and what to do next.Please am worried
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later

GGT and SGPT are liver enzyme. High values of these enzymes are indicators of liver cell inflammation.

The 2 most common causes of liver cell inflammation are viral infections and alcohol.

Does your daughter consume alcohol, if yes, how much and how often?

From the details provided by you, I cannot comment on a specific cause. Any of the 2 may have triggered liver inflammation. But since the values are marginally raised, I feel that it is probably an acute inflammation and should settle soon.

However, I do not suggest you to be complacent. A physical examination by a 'Gastroenterologist' is necessary and it will throw more light in diagnosing /interpreting the results. Ultrasound scan of the abdomen / blood test for viral markers is entailed

You may consider these after discussing with your primary doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them.

Best Regards