Abdominal pain. Having diarrhea with mucus in it. Should I consult a specialist?

General Surgeon
Daughter has been having belly pain. She had diarriah for 3 days and for the last 4 stools 2 days, she has had normal size turds but the stool has had white chalky mucos on it. Should I rush to er or wait to see her Ped.? 12 years old 5'2 97lbs. Very healthy athletic
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
As per your query, your daughter who is 12 years old had Diarrhea with Mucus in stools.
It may be due to Bacterial or parasitic or mixed infection as she is having belly pain too.
I saw the images too. They seem to be hard.
The quality of the stool will depend on the food you take.
Give her an antibiotic with combination of Levofloxacin and Metronidazole. Add an antispasmodic like Dicyclomine. Get it prescribed by her doctor.
Ask her to avoid outside food, drink plenty of liquids, eat high fiber diet, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
You can wait to see her Pediatrician.
Wish her good health and speedy recovery.
If you have further queries, I will clarify.