Abdominal pain, CT scan showed fatty liver, red hands, taken Prevacid. What does it mean?

About 9 months ago I started having slight pain in right side and a little on my left side as well. I don't have insurance but went to emergency room. Was given a ct scan. Showed fatty liver. However the doc told me that he didn't think this was cause of prob. He told me to take Prevacid. Seems to help a little. Within the last week however I started getting red hands. They r red when at my side but if I raise them above my chest they go back to normal. Also if I push on skin they red dissipates. I have been told by ppl I knOw that this is circulation issue. However I have seen articles about liver disease and red palms. What does it mean red palms? Yea I have red palms but my whole hand is red. Does red palms mean just palms? I have also noticed a little red blotchyness on back of my triceps. Hands also seem a little swollen.
Stopped smoking bout 3 weeks ago and been using patch. Im 5ft 9in bout 190. Just started running as well to lose weight
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 16 hours later
The condition in which the palms are abnormally red is known as Palmar erythema. This refers to a state when the redness of the hand is more apparent on the palm which is usually pale. This can occur in any condition where the blood flow to the palms is increased. This can happen in conditions like:
a.     Liver disease
b.     Certain cardiac valvular problems
c.     Certain endocrine disorders.
d.     Pregnancy

Nicotine can also cause palmar hyperaemia ( increased redness of palms) secondary to vasodilation ( which means that the lumen of the blood vessels supplying the hand becomes larger). I would suggest that you discontinue the nicotine patch and see if it still persists. In that scenario, you can consult a general physician who can perform a detailed evaluation.