Abdominal pain, CT scan normal, grunting while breathing. History of surgery. What do I need to do?

I have right side pain since the beginning of march 2012. It started with severe pain for about 2 wks, I've had a CT scan, abdominal u/s and and IVP which the doctor says is all normal. However the pain has never completly gone away. I did feel some releif for a short time, instead of severe pain it went to a discomfort such as it felt like my side was bruised like I had been hit in the side or something. Now the severe pain has been back for a week now and it really hurts when I'm sitting. My husband and I couldn't even sit through a movie this weekend without me wanting to cry and being soooooo uncomfortable, sometimes it hurts so bad when sitting that I find myself grunting when breathing. I went again last week to the doctor and I just wanted to leave crying of frustration and pain, and again was told "the scans didn't find anything maybe it's just muscularskeletal, we can give you pain pills". Oh, they also told me maybe I just need to do stretching exercises before I get out of bed everyday for the rest of my life. I understand I am 38yrs old now, but really. I don't want pain pills and the pain feels like it's coming from inside, not from a muscle. I want someone to figure it out, not offer me pain pills, and not make me feel like I'm losing my mind. Since they have told me they can't find what's causing it since the scans came up normal I've been trying to ignore the pain and it's just getting worse. I'm frustrated and ready to give up. I have had surgeries and been in pain before and I can normally handle it, I don't like taking pain pills. Please help, I need ideas of what I need to do or where I need to go.
I don't know how much longer I can handle this pain.
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

I can understand your concern for the severe pain that you are having. It is good that CT scan, IVP and ultrasound have come out normal.

For such pain two other possibilities need to be ruled out. These include:

1)     Multiple myeloma

2)     Nerve pain due to spinal nerve causes like spinal stenosis.

Multiple myeloma is a tumor of the bone cells and typically presents with severe pain in the back. Bone pain is a common symptom, particularly in your back, pelvis, ribs and skull. It is diagnosed by Electrophoresis (EP) which measures the levels of various proteins in the blood or urine.Bone scans and bone marrow biopsy are also sometimes helpful in confirming.

I feel that you should consult your physician and get this possibility evaluated. along with spinal causes. For the same you should get a MRI spine done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.