Abdominal pain. All tests came normal. On codein, paracetamol. Suggest treatment

My daughter 10 has been discharged from a&e with unknown abdominal pain all tests showing normal - she is till in pain drinking water but when she attempts to eat dry toast it brings the pains on worse and she feels sick - I don't know what to do to help her she is on lots of pain relief buscapan codeine and paracetamol but they don't seem to do much for her - so I've reduced them down I think they're irritating her tummy - the pain is around tummy button and above comes and goes but extremely painful - I have been to a&e 3 times in last few days they say can't do anything -

Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 49 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You haven't specified the exact area of the abdomen she is having pain however the common causes of abdominal pain in this age group are worm infestation, acidity, gastroenteritis, constipation or appendicitis however each of them have their own presentation and features. i would requesting you for some further details especially the quadrant of the abdomen she is having pain in and any associated symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or fever or any other.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain. All tests came normal. On codein, paracetamol. Suggest treatment 6 minutes later
The pain is around tummy button both sides of it and higher - she vomits when eats and it's a green yellow bile- she has a slight temperature no other symptoms
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply

The pain is in the umbilical region which is intestinal and as she is also vomiting and have a slight temperature which is most obvious gastroenteritis or worm infestation. An ultrasound abdomen if not done is recommended to rule out any other conditions.
You can use Ranitidine and domeperidone for pains which is on the counter available drugs.Also make sure, she is not having constipation. For treatment of infections you will need antibiotics for which you have to visit a pediatrician.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask