Abdominal discomfort and gas in chest after taking increased dosage of Atenolol. Will side effects go away?

Jan 2013

I have been taking Atenolol for 4 years 25 mg for Blood Pressure, My Doctor recently increased it to twice a day. I have been experiencing abdominal discomfort and what I describe as gas in my chest area. I contacted my Doctor and he told me to keep taking it, the side effects would go away??? Please Advise
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 27 minutes later
Atenolol is safe medicine and never associated with gastric upset.
Side effects of atenolol includes unexplained swelling or sudden weight gain, chest pain, dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting spells, cold, tingling, or numbness in the hands or feet, worsening of asthma, worsening of heart failure, confusion, an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia), signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
You should consult with physician or with your treating doctor and put your worries.
You should go for following investigations: complete blood count, thyroid profile, liver function test, ultrasound imaging.
You should also go for endoscopy for detail evaluation of gastric status.
You should also do dietary changes: avoid garlic and onion, tea, coffee, chocolates, oily and spicy food.
You should take only 200 ml milk in morning hours.
You should avoid keeping dough and boiled potatoes in freeze.
You should take proton pump inhibitors with prokinetics for rapid relief of your symptoms.
So it is unlikely that your symptoms are due to increase in dose of atenolol.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava