Abdominal cramps, nauseous. Have had diarrhoea, itchy feet, genital area, palms, underarms and scalp. Advice?

Infertility Specialist
Question
A few hours ago, something really strange happened. It has actually happened 3x's in the past 10 yrs, but I can not find a cause similar to each time. I was napping, woke up with severe abdominal cramps, went to bathroom. Sat on toilet was feeling hot and nauseous and somewhat disoriented. I needed to have a bowel movement. A soft BM came, then diarrhea started and severe itching on the soles of my feet, genital area, palms, underarms and scalp. Continued to have diarrhea, itching and then sweating started. When it was over, I was light-headed and cold/clammy. The diarrhea was bright/darkish yellow similar to when you vomit bile. I feel ok now, but very tired and weak with slight headache. What could be the cause of this combination of symptoms?
note: this happened today 4/28/13, but the 1st incidence was 10 yrs ago.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply : 1) You seem to have allergic food poisoning. 2) The itching you describe is associated with allergy where as diarrhoea is associated with food poisoning. This happens to everybody once in a while. Thats what you had experienced few years back also. 3) It will probably subside soon and not to be worried. 4) This is not related stroke of anykind and just routine allergy for which you dont have to worry. I am sure you will be fine in few hours. I hope I answered your query. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol.

Follow-up: Abdominal cramps, nauseous. Have had diarrhoea, itchy feet, genital area, palms, underarms and scalp. Advice? 12 minutes later
See, that's what I thought the first time it happened because I had shrimp mixed with tomatoes and wine, which was a new combo for me...but it happened within a few hours of consumption. I've really eaten very plainly this weekend and nothing new...EXCEPT, I did have sushi for lunch on Friday, but nothing raw. I don't eat sushi often, maybe twice per year. Today, all I had before the incident was a bowl of Lucky Charm cereal, goldfish crackers, a cheese stick and sweet tea. Could it have been a delayed reaction? Also, is there a difference between a regular food allergy vs allergic food poisoning that you mentioned? I am not aware of having any food allergies. Thank you for your response.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 21 minutes later
Hi, thanks for additional information. You are right. It could be delayed reaction due to sushi. It could also be due to some small contamination accidentally got mixed with your normal regular diet. Hence there is no need to panic as contaminant could have got mixed from anywhere. Sometimes body responds to small allergen which is not seen from eye. Hence dont worry about it. Food allergy and allergic food poisoning are almost same with little technical difference. I advice you just relax and you will be fine. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Abdominal cramps, nauseous. Have had diarrhoea, itchy feet, genital area, palms, underarms and scalp. Advice? 1 hour later
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later
Hi, i hope my answer was quick and helpful to you. If you found my answer useful, please accept my answer and write a review. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol