Abdominal cramps after an injury. Is it safe to wait for some hours or any suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 17 year old daughter fell down the stairs last night, face first. She seemed ok at the time. This morning she woke with severe abdominal cramps in her left side. She's crying out lid in pain. No clinic is open this early. Should I take her to ER (no insurance, expensive), or do think I it's safe to wait a couple of hours for a walkin clinic to open? What would you do.?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 21 minutes later
Hi there.

I have read and understood your problem.

Is your daughter having any nausea, fever, loose stools?

Has she missed her period?

It is best that you take your daughter to the ER immediately. The possible causes for this condition and mentioned below.

There could be many possible causes of this problem. Since the pain has come on suddenly and crampy in nature, it is possible that she could be having a twisted ovarian cyst or if she is sexually active and has missed her period, there are chances of ectopic pregnancy. These problems present with severe cramping pain on one side.

If the cramps are associated with loose stools it is possible she could be having inflammatory bowel disease.

It is clear that urgent investigations are needed to find out the right diagnosis and decide appropriate management.

In the ER the Doctor will do an Ultrasound to find out the cause and follow appropriate measures to relieve her suffering.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.