Abdominal and pelvic contrast,abdominal pain,swelling,dilation of intrahepatic and extrahepatic tree

General Surgeon
i had a ct w and w/o contrast abdomen and pelvis for abdominal pain and swelling. New dialation of the intrahepatic and extrahepatic biliary tree, a change since Dec 2009. Further eval to be done but can u give me an idea what this means?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Dilatation of biliary tree occurs due to blockage to the path of bile drainage.It can be at at the level of extra hepatic or intra hepatic or both depending upon the site of obstruction ,Obstruction can be due to calculus ( stones ) in the Common bile duct or some growth pressing the common bile duct.In many cases malignancy has also been seen .As left & right hepatic duct make common hepatic duct.common hepatic duct on joining with cystic duct becomes common bile duct.So obstruction any where by what ever reason leads to dilatation of intrahepatic & extrahepatic ducts.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery”