Abdominal TB. What precautions to maintain while sex?

my wife has abdominal tb
she wants to have sex...i just wanted to know what are the restriction we need to maintain in physical relationship in detail
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your wife is suffering from abdominal tb with ascitis along with fever and cough.

2. In such a situation there is a possibility of her suffering from pulmonary tb in addition to abdominal tb.

3. Please get her investigated for the same (chest xray, ct thorax, bronchoscopy, sputum/ bronchoalveolar lavage afb culture/stain). Please visit a Pulmonologist for the same.

4. Abdominal kochs as such is not a contraindication for sex relation however in the presence of ascitis (stomach swelling) and cough (possibility of pulmonary involvement) sex should be avoided for : 1. abdominal swelling causing physical discomfort to the patient, 2. Risk of contact if pulmonary involvement is suspected.

5. After ruling out pulmonary tb and symptomatic improvement of stomach swelling, sex relation can be made (Condom should be used in such scenario. Please do not use Oral contraceptives to prevent pregnancy.). It should be kept in mind that as long as she is on anti tb drugs, please do not plan pregnancy due to effect of anti tb drugs on pregnancy (fetus).

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra