Abdominal CT scan,calcified cyst on pancreas

I am a 56 year old female in good overall health. Recently had a CT scan of abdomen and it showed a 7mm calcified cyst on body of pancreas. My Dr. Assured me I need not worry about this and ordered another scan in3 months to check, but it freaked me out a little, am I over reacting?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query,

Let me reassure you from the start that your physician is doing the absolute right thing in your case. I also agree that this cyst with a calcified appearance is also not concerning. If it was described as a "soft tissue mass" that might be more concerning but I am happy to see that in your case it has the typical appearance of one of these calcified cysts.

Your response is a natural one and I don't feel you are over-reacting. I do want to emphasize again at the same time that you should not be concerned that you have a worrisome or life threatening/life-limiting process going on.

I would get the followup in 3 months which will likely document no change and beyond that you likely won't need any additional followup regarding this.

I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga