Abdomen bloated and swollen. Took ibuprofen for menstrual cramp. Is it internal bleeding?

General Surgeon
My abdomen is incredibly bloated, swollen and tender.
I'm concerned because I took a lot of Ibuprofen this weekend due to menstrual cramps (8-10 ibuprofen Saturday between 3am and 11pm, 6-8 Sunday between 11am and 8pm), and since about 3:00 yesterday afternoon I've had very unusual bloating and tenderness in my abdomen, such that it kept me awake much of the night, and it hurts to walk to move. So, I've diagnosed myself with internal bleeding from the ibuprofen. I have nothing to prove this, just the extreme and atypical discomfort from the excessive bloating.
I don't usually bloat when I have my period, so this is strange and really uncomfortable! There has been a little release of gas, and one bowel movement, but otherwise I'm just walking around like I'm 200 years old, totally uncomfortable.
Out of fear of having low blood pressure (thus proving the XXXXXXX bleeding theory), I went to CVS to take my blood pressure - My blood pressure is 153/86 today, whereas it's usually "normal".
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Over dosage of ibuprofen has many side effects like gastritis, ulceration, XXXXXXX bleed and even peptic ulcer and perforation.

Bloating and tenderness along with inability to walk and problems of release of gas or flatus suggest some thing which needs urgent attention.

Chances of XXXXXXX bleed of gut needs to be ruled out in such cases. HENCE I URGE YOU TO VISIT THE ER AT THE EARLIEST.

Extreme and a typical discomfort from excessive bloating again indicates the need of medical examination from gastroenterologist .

Such sign & symptoms are generally not seen due to menstrual bleed.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”