AST level is high. Diagnosed with annal fistula. Are they related?

My AST level came back at 59. Topr range is 55. I was diagnosed with a annal fistula ver recently. Otherwise in great Healy. I take herbal supplements from my ND. Could eithernthe sups or the fistula cause the high reading?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reevaluation needed

Detailed Answer:
`Hi and thanks for the query,

An AST level at 59, with normal upper limit being 55 is not a call for concern. It should be noted that the normal ranges are usually pit based in averages, and there are always individuals, with normal liver functions out side the average ranges.

Secondly, these tests are liable to lots of changes. The causes could range from sample collection to measure, physical factors like stress, exercise, raised temperatures and the particular time of the day sample was collected.

I do not think with the values recorded you really need to bother. I would suggest the test be repeated after two weeks in the same laboratory. In case the value increases, the cause could be sought through doing liver functions tests (others), testing for viral hepatitis infection and doing an ultrasound. Problems are suspected when values are excessively high (greater than ten units from the upper limit, when values remain persistently high even during controls or when a steady increase in the parameter in noted over time.

It might be very difficult to associate liver dysfunction to fistula. It is however not rare to have some understudied plants produce adverse events with the liver. It is less likely in case, for when it happens, the AST values are usually very high.

I strongly suggest you remain very calm ,and carryout a control test under normal circumstances again, in the same laboratory in a weeks time. Thanks and kind regards. Feel free asking further questions in case you have any specific concerns.

Dr Rogers.