AST level is 56 and alkaline phosphatase is 139. Is this too high?

My AST Level is 56 and Akaline Phosphatase is 139 , is this too high ?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 58 minutes later
In general I would say those levels are not too high, they are just above the upper limit of normal, which varies from laboratory to laboratory. However you should take into account the context: if your labs were previously normal and now they are going up I would seek for a cause. If you have underlying liver disease then it depends on which type. For example if you had a liver transplant then I would be uncomfortable with those labs, but if you have a history of hepatitis C then those results are great.
You should have received a laboratory result together with the normal range of that laboratory. Usually those labs come together with other liver function tests such as ALT, bilirrubin, albumin.
If you need more info, then please provide more medical history.
Hope that answers your question.