AST 56, ALT 118, preeclamsia, gestational hypertension, gestational diabetes

Hello, I am 35 and gave birth 6 weeks ago. A blood test this week revealed my liver enzymes are elevated (56 AST/118 ALT). My numbers have been well within rage during the pregnancy and 1 day postpartum. I had gestational diabetes and gestational hypertension during the pregnancy and was induced early for showing signs of preeclampsia (although my bloodwork never showed high protein, creatine, etc). I resumed drinking wine postpartum, a glass or two every few days (I am not breastfeeding). Could this be the cause of the elevated enzymes? All others tests have been done at the OBGYN (hep negative, hormones, protein), and I was instructed to follow up with my primary care provider. The explaination I got from the OB nurse was sometimes the body reacts strangley postpartum and not to worry. I have stopped drinking wine out of fear of damaging my liver.
Thanks so much.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

There are a few possibilities that can be considered:

1. Mild rise in liver enzymes is common during pregnancy due to cholestasis and this sometimes persists for upto six weeks after delivery.
2. During post partum period, high protein diet also sometimes produces this kind of stress on liver raising the enzyme levels.
3. The rise in liver enzymes post partum may be more likely to be related to alcohol consumption rather than the abnormal body response after delivery.

A single reading of raised liver enzymes is not conclusive to diagnose a condition such as liver damage.

It is best to abstain from any kind of alcohol right now and I am happy that you have stopped drinking wine. You can repeat the tests after 2 weeks and if the levels are still raised then further investigations like ultrasound scan of abdomen is needed under the guidance of your gastroenterologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.