AML, fever, stomach ache and elevated TLC. Diagnosed with typhoid. On chemo and hidac doses. Chances of survival?

Hi Doctor,
I am enquiring on behalf of my niece who is suffering from AML - M1 from July 2011. After 1st Chemo and subsequent reinduction & post reinduction therapies & Hidac(3 doses), she achieved remission. For 11 months, she was fine and then was diagnosed with typhoid in December 2012 and later 23% blast was observed in blood test. Right now her TLC is elevated at 2.6 lacs and continuosly increasing with high fever, spleen of 15cm, stomachache & vomitting. Docs have suggested chord blood transplant which is very high in cost. Could you please suggest what are the chances of survival and any other good hospital which is affordable.
Thanks for all your help.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

A cord blood transplant can lead to successful long term remission and potentially cure in this case. As you know AML is an aggressive disease which can be difficult to treat, Transplant in the setting of relapse is the only real chance for cure.

I think a major hospital affiliated with a university is the most likely type oif institution you will need to take her to for evaluation and consideration of the transplant option.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: AML, fever, stomach ache and elevated TLC. Diagnosed with typhoid. On chemo and hidac doses. Chances of survival? 14 hours later
Thank you doc for your reply. i understand that we are heading in the right direction. But there is more of a help i would need from you or your peers. We do not have much knowledge about good hospitals in this speciality in India especially in NCR region. it would be a great help if someone can help ua shorlist 3-5 good hospitals which we can choose from.
Any help in this regard can help us save 1 life....Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question. I will refer your question to our central administration so that we can try to provide you with appropriate referrals to good hospitals in your area.