ALT score 70, cholesterol, type I diabetes, history of allestimers. Normal?

Is my ALT score of 70 alarming ? In last 3 yrs has been40 35 and 70. I am 63,type l diabetic, on statins for 30 yrs with collestrol about210 forever, mother had high collestrol, both parents died of allestimers at age 79
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 30 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

An ALT of 70 in your case is not alarming. Let me provide you with some additional information and reassurance. ALT as you know is one of the liver enzymes which we follow as a measure of normal liver function. A number of things can affect the ALT which include: medications, infections and weight gain.

In your case the statin is the most likely culprit unless for some reason you have gained a significant amount of weight in the last several moinths. As primary physicians we generally accep an ALT level up to 2 and 1/2 times the upper limit of normal in a patient who is taking statin medications. So in a broad sense we would accept an ALT even above 100 without any concern or need to adjust your medication. The benefit of continued statin use far outweighs any tiny risk at this point especially with this very mild elevation of the ALT.

I am sure you also know that good blood sugar control also makes control of cholesterol and triglycerides more obtainable. You are on a good regimen of medications and can expect to enjoy many many years of good life.

I hope this answer is both adequate and informative for you. Should you have additional questions, I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga