ALT is 61 and AST is 38, what does this mean?

My ALT is 61 and AST is 38, what does this mean?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

ALT (Alanine aminotransaminase) and AST (aspartate aminotransferase) are the enzymes present in the Liver.They are raised in conditions leading to destruction or increased liver function.

Such readings can also be seen after a fatty meal and also when on medications for long term, where they will come to normal after few days.

The readings you mentioned are not too high to consider a serious problem in you.
But they are enough high which may raise a need for the liver to be analysed in toto.

Do get a Liver function test which provides some more details on the health of the liver.

Also reduce the fat and spice content in your food, this helps for the enzymes to come to normal.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

The serum ALT (Alanine aminotransferase) level is normally below 40 U/L. &

The serum AST (Aspartate aminotransferase) level is normally 12-39 U/L.

Thus your serum ALT level is high and your serum AST level is towards higher side, but within normal range.

Serum ALT and AST levels are commonly measured clinically as part of diagnostic Liver function test, to determine liver health.

Thank you for posting your query. Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,
Follow-up: ALT is 61 and AST is 38, what does this mean? 39 minutes later
Thanks, what about blood sugar of 112? This was done fasting prior to blood test
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The blood sugar mentioned above if fasting value is considered slightly above the range but not too high to consider any diagnosis.

I would suggest you to repeat it on two other occasions, If it appears to be more then too.A GTT (Glucose tolerance test) would be necessary to rule out Diabetes in you.

Wish you good health.