ALT-SGPT & AST-SGOT level. What does this mean?

My ALT-SGPT level is 142U/L and AST-SGOT level is 70U/L , WHAT DOES IT MEAN
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
It is primarily the SGPT which is raised in your case. The commonest cause of the same in your age group is due to fat deposition in the liver called a fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle. My first suggestion is to get an ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver.

The serum ALT (SGPT) level usually is greater than the AST level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. It is commonly found in overweight people.
If fatty liver is found, then you need to restrict your alcohol intake (if you are taking any) and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: ALT-SGPT & AST-SGOT level. What does this mean? 1 hour later
How critical are the both levels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It is just a mild rise of enzyme levels and is not worrisome. These do return back to normal with appropriate dietary modifications and lifestyle changes. You can re check these levels after six months to see the trends.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.