ADHD medicine, Adderall, plaque buildup, heart attack, strokes caused by this medicine ?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...

I was recently prescribed 20 mg adderall for ADHD daily and just found out I have plaque buildup 25% in neck area. Is this something I should be concerned about and does the adderall contribute to heart attack or strokes? I am 63, exercise several times a week and my focus and concentration has been finally improved with the ADHD medication but now concerned? Otherwise excellent XXXXXXX ..
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh, 3 hours later

There have been no reports of increased cholesterol or plaque formation associated with Adderall in adults. You may please look into other possibilities for the plaque build up. A visit to a dermatologist will sort this issue.

There is an isolated report of cadiomyopathy associated in one individual, but that seems to be unrelated.

For a better outcome, you can consider Cognitive Therapy in addition to Adderall, as it is expected to give you faster and long term results.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD