ADD, taking dextroamphetamine, shaking hands. Solution?

Hi. Im on dextroamphetamine for my ADD issue and my hands seem to shake when i take it. how can i make them stop shaking even when i take 5 mg they still shake. I am 23 years old 5'3 and 102 pounds. please give me any possible solutions for my had shaking. I havnt taken the pills the whole summer because i only need them for school to focus.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 28 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

From the provided history, it seems that you are having uncontrolled movements of hand (known as tics) which occurs as side effects due to Dextroamphetamine use which usually subside as the duration of treatment increases. Tics can also occur in other parts of body like head, arm, legs, lips, etc.

Tics are difficult to control and prevent because they're involuntary muscle contractions.

However, it might be possible to reduce the frequency and severity of some tics by:

1. Avoiding stressful situations.

2. Taking time to enjoy relaxing activities.

3. Avoid getting tired or over-excited.

In case, it does not subside or it becomes difficult to tolerate, it can be managed with reduction of dose of the medication.

If it is severe, I would suggest you to consult your Physician who can prescribe a few medications at very low doses to control the tics.

Medications include:

1. Neuroleptics (Antipsychotic medicines).
2. Alpha2-adrenergic agonists.
3. Benzodiazepines.
4. Tetrabenazine.
5. Diphenhydramine.

These medications are also very effective in controlling the tics.

I would also suggest you not to stop the current medication on your own. Always follow your physician's advise.

I hope this answers your question effectively.

I will be available in case of follow up if any.

Dr. Anvekar.