ACL tear, MRI scan, minor surgery. How much bed rest?

Doctor, I'm 31 , 5 ft 9 and 80 kilos I got a ACL tear 3 months back. I had gone through MRI scan, and they confirmed it as ACL ( complete ligament tear) on the left knee and suggested me to undergo minor surgery.Till last week there was no pain in the knee na i was able to walk freely. Last thursday I stepped on wet floor and slipped . Now I feel pain while walking and not able to walk properly.Now I would like to go for a surgery and would like to how many days I have to take complete BED rest after surgery?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 46 minutes later

Anterior cruciate ligament surgery is basically a surgical tissue graft replacement of the anterior cruciate ligament which has been torn after trauma. Mostly this surgery is done arthroscopically and a graft is inserted through a hole.

After the surgery you will remain on complete bed rest for the first 5- 7 days after surgery. Please ensure that you do not put any extra pressure on the operated knee during this time. During this time, range of motion (ROM) exercises, often with the guidance of a physical therapist are performed which are directed to regain the flexibility of the ligament, prevent or break down scar tissue or adhesion from forming and reduce loss of muscle tone. These exercises include quadriceps contractions and straight leg raises. In some cases, a continuous passive motion device is used to provide elevation with gentle motion. After 7-10 days of bed rest and these ROM exercises, your physiotherapist will work on gait training (walking), gentle strengthening, and aerobic work.

These gait training exercises are then followed by balance and proprioceptive exercises after about 3-6 weeks of surgery. You can discuss about these exercises in detail with your orthopedic surgeon and physiotherapist before going in for the ACL reconstruction.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.