ACL construction 15 yrs back, knee popped again, swollen, warm

My knee popped out of place and didn't pop back until the next day. Now it's been a week and its still very swollen and warm. I was given Motrin, a knee immobilizer and crutches. My doctor wants to see me back on the 31st of May before referring me to an Orthopaedic Doctor. Did I mention I had a total ACL reconstruction on the same knee 15 years ago.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later

The knee which has popped out and did not come back to its right place for one day has definitely caused an injury to the surrounding tissues.

As you have a history of ligament tear, and the pain and swelling now are definitely pointing towards a ligament injury again. The swelling might be due to the collection of blood that could be due to injury in the knee joint causing haemarthrosis along with superadded bacterial or fungal infections giving a warm feeling on touch.

Only an orthopaedic surgeon can help you by draining the collected blood if any and surgery if needed.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures which can help you in reducing pain:
1. Complete bed rest.
2. Avoid weight bearing on that joint.
3. Hot fomentation of the joint as this will reduce pain and inflammation.
4. Continue with Motrin and knee immobilizer as advised by your doctor.
5. Discuss with your doctor regarding infection as can be determine only on physical examination and prescription of Antibiotics if required.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Follow-up: ACL construction 15 yrs back, knee popped again, swollen, warm 7 hours later
I was told to keep my knee elevated with a cold compress on it. I have been using an ice pack since the incident. I noticed you said #3 (Hot fomentation of the joint as this will reduce pain and inflammation). So should I use hot or cold compress?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Kindly follow the advice of your doctor and carry on with the cold compress as he his the one who has examined you and his opinion is to be followed.

Rest assured your doctor has advised you correctly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.