A prickling, buzzing, pressing sensation from neck to head. Could be pressing the mastoid bone. What else can it be?

ENT Specialist
For 4 weeks now on and off I have had a feeling of fullness in my left side of head along with
A prickling, buzzing, pressing sensation in a c shape from neck round left ear to upper head on left
Had antibiotics nothing chnaged, also intermittently had dizzy spells like XXXXXXX head rush with hot
Feeling shaky body feeling, usually worse at night and in morning. Some mornings
Wake up shaky. One dr said my neck muscles and should were vey tight and this could be
Pressing the mastoid bone making me dizzy. It's not a persistent diziness by can come on at anytime
I can't shift the sore, left head though sometimes it feels like someone is pressing down in the cnwtre of my head. Had a very bad night on sat and ended up at a@e passed
The neuro tests (walking, fingers, little hammer
Etc) bloods fine, bp fine, ct was thankfully normal. They suggested I see either an ent
Or neurol. Please advise which would be best? I do not have a headache as such
More fullness, pressure and tingling. I have a deviated septum on the left side too
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

Fullness of the head on one side associated with dizziness could be either due to sinusitis or due to vestibular migraine or both combined.

Early morning and late night headaches usually go in favor of frontal sinusitis, whereas any headache associated with dizziness could be an exacerbation of the migraine because of sinusitis. Migraine is one condition which is frequently seen in females and more during the menstrual periods and stressful conditions.

I would suggest you to continue the medicine (amitriptyline) to reduce the attacks of migraine, as well as you need to consult a good ENT specialist for a complete evaluation and further investigations.

Till then drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid coffee/smoking/alcohol if any, every day have food at the same time and take proper rest for at least 7-8 hours per day.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon