A lump on the eyelid with no pain or redness, in oval shape. Harmful?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My brother has a small lump on his upper lid in the upperR hand corner of lid. No reddness is noted. NO pain reported. It is not round but sort of oval in shape - a growth of some sort. Any thoughts as to what this may be?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later

A small oval lump on the eyelid without any redness or pain may be due to- Blepharitis ( infection of eyelid glands or eye lash follicles), Stye, Chalazion, allergic reaction, insect bite, blunt trauma, herpes infection, chronic blepharitis, etc.

As there is no pain or redness, bacterial infection is not likely. You need a thorough eye evaluation by a Opthalmologist (Eye Surgeon) as there are various causes for this symptoms and they can be ruled out only after a Physical Examination. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.