A lump below knee cap doesn't seem to go. Why?

I was lifting a piece of heavy equipment nine months ago and tripped and landed hard on my right knee, a knot came up and has been there since. I recently met a retired RN who felt it and said It would be like that my whole life. It is soft to the touch and is actually right below my knee cap. Should I see a Doctor?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have difficulty moving your knee joint?
2.) Does it feel warm to touch?
3.) Is it tender?
4.) Do you have fever?

Your History suggests that you may be suffering from Pre-Patellar Bursitis which is the inflammation of the bursa that occurs after a direct blow over it as seen after a fall.

A bursa is a small fluid filled, pad like sac that reduces friction and cushions the pressure points between your bones and the tendons and muscles near your joints.

The Bursitis in your case has to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by a Orthopedician so that he may examine you and run few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) Knee X XXXXXXX
3.) Magnetic Resonant Imaging (MRI) Scan (If necessary).

Once confirmed, you may be treated accordingly with aspiration of the fluid and sending it for laboratory analysis. You will be prescribed antibiotics, corticosteroid injections, Aspiration and Physical Therapy. If it doesn't respond to conservative treatment, it will be removed surgically.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Rest your knee and avoid aggressive knee movements.
2.) Use of a compressive wrap can help to reduce swelling.
3.) Elevate your knee by propping up your legs on pillows or leg end elevation of your bed.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Good Luck.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: A lump below knee cap doesn't seem to go. Why? 15 hours later
Thank you. I will answer your questions. I have no difficulty moving my knee. It is not warm to the touch. It is not tender. I have not had a fever in over twenty years. When I look down at my knee the knot like bump is aprroximately one inch down at two oclock below my right knee. The bulge is aprox. one inch in diameter and will move around the edges and is like a hard balloon to the touch. I do not have medical insurance so I will just go the Emergency Room on Monday if you think this is the thing to do. The retired RN I know said it would be there my whole life and it was from the hard lick that caused this. She called it something. She felt of it and then made those statements. So, should I go to the Emergency Room?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me with the additional information. It was indeed of help.

I still feel it may be Pre-patellar bursitis.

Yes, you may visit an Orthopedician on an ambulatory (Outpatient) basis as it doesn't need a emergency care. Since you said you don't have medical insurance, visiting a doctor on an Emergency Room would be costlier.

Good Luck.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.