A knot under chin and neck. It is swollen and puffy. What can it be?

Overnight I developed under my chin where it goes into my neck, a knot. Not sure if it's an ingrown.Normally when I get those, they are much, much smaller and never protrudes out. But, it has that area a little swollen and puffy. It has never happened before. It slightly feels like little rock. It could be nothing. And it may go down. Not sure.
It's not red, just swollen and it happened overnight. It looks like a small/medium puffy, lump sac under my chin when looking from front and side.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
As I believe that a detailed history is an integral part of an accurate diagnosis, I would like to have a few more details before giving you my expert opinion regarding the swelling you are having.
1) Do you run temperature?
2) Is the knot mobile or is attached to the overlying skin?
3) Does the swelling move with swallowing?
4) Do you have any pain while swallowing?
A sudden appearance of swelling under the chin may be a lymph node swelling or a soft tissue swelling.
You can send a good photograph of the swelling to me along with this query in the box provided on the right side. This will help me in giving a more specific opinion regarding your problem.
Proper investigations like Fine Needle Aspiration are needed for diagnosis.
Awaiting your reply.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: A knot under chin and neck. It is swollen and puffy. What can it be? 50 minutes later
No. I don't have a temperature.
It's not moving, seems to be in same place.
No. It stays in the same place. it hasn't moved around.
No pain at all.

On the picture, it's the part that looks red and raised.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Unfortunately there is no picture attached with the query.
From your history it seems to be an inflamed lymph node swelling.
It usually appears in response to an infection or inflammation in the head and neck region.
Usually systemic antibiotics are needed to control the infection under the guidance of a physician.
Once the infection is controlled, it subsides spontaneously over 2-3 weeks.
Other causes could be subcutaneous swellings like fat collection or lipoma, fibroma, etc.
It is best you consult with your primary physician in this regard to evaluate the swelling and decide next step to be taken.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.