A child has severe abdominal pain, headaches, dizziness and vomiting. Emergency immediately?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
for the last two days my 10 year old daughter has been experiencing severe abdominal pain, severe headaches, dizziness and vomiting. I am planning on taking her to the doctor tomorrow but now I am worried that this is a serious problem and I am wondering if I should take her to the ER now.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 55 minutes later

Abdominal pain and vomiting and the description of your daughter’s symptoms are suggestive of Gastroenteritis or similar infection. It needs to be treated early to prevent complications like dehydration, septicemia and hypotension or shock.

Vomiting since two days can cause dehydration in children if not adequately hydrated so most important is to keep your daughter well hydrated. Make her take sips of oral rehydration solution or any home available fluids continuously even if you are planning to take her to Emergency room or a Pediatrician.

Though the clinical examination of the patient and detailed history are necessary to confirm if she requires emergency hospitalization, following are the signs which, if present, do warrant prompt medical consultation.

If your daughter has any of these, please take her to the Emergency room.

1. Decreased frequency of urination or scanty or no urine.
2. Dry mouth and tongue, sunken eyes, irritability.
3. Diarrhea or blood in stools or black tarry stools or vomiting anything ingested like liquids even water.

4. Tenderness or pain on touching abdomen or persistent abdominal pain not relieved by medicines or recurrent after temporary relief.
5. Rapid heart beats or cold clammy hands and legs, dizziness or blackout.
6. Rash or mosquito bite like small petechiae on skin or bleeding from any site.
7. Fever of 103 F or more or persistent fever 101 F not relieved by medication.
8. Refusal to feed and inability to sleep .though minor complaints do signify underlying illness.

So if you feel she has any of these do not hesitate to take her to hospital. If she has none of the above and is eating and drinking fluids adequately, no fever with only vomiting occasionally and on and off abdominal pain then you can give her an anti-emetic like domperidone and some antacids syrup and wait for your doctor’s appointment tomorrow. The doctor after examining and investigating blood tests, if required may prescribe antibiotics or other appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.