A bump on the rib cage, moves as the arm moves. Is fatty tissue or cancer?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my left side of my rib cage their is a soft lump and it moves as i move my arm up and down i was told it was fatty tissue but at times it seems to bother me, would it be cancer?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
A soft painless mobile lump in the armpit is not likely to be a cancer. It is most likely a benign swelling.
Usually these are a collection of fat cells forming a lipoma. You can get it removed surgically if it is bothersome and disfiguring.
In case there is a sudden change in its size and shape or color or it becomes painful then you must seek a medical advice from your physician after proper examination.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.