91 years old. Receiving breathing treatment. Found high pulse rate. Concerned

My dad is at a rehab facility doing well. I am concerned about his new cold. He is receiving
breathing treatment mists. He is 91 alert and clear minded. His vitals last night at 10:00pm were
135/77 with pulse rate 90. Again concerned about high pulse rate . Nurse says he was okay. Thanks, XXXXXX
His pulse rate at rest is usually around 77.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The pulse rate of an individual varies from time to time and increases with physiological and psychological stress. In fact it is only a response of body to a given stress. A number of medications also increase the pulse rate; like in your father's case lasix, rapaflo & nitropatch can increase heart rate. However, since he currently has common cold (which is a stress on body) the increase in his pulse rate from 77 to 90 beats per minute is explainable. Certain drugs which we use in patients with common cold can also increase heart rate.

In summary, whenever there is increase in heart rate (which is not from an abnormal focus), we look for the other things which increase the heart, rather than treating the increased heart itself.
Since he recently had cellulitis and his age is 91, cold should be managed effectively. Your physician may choose to use antibiotics, bronchodilators, mucolytics, antihistamines, steam inhalation and chest physiotherapy depending upon his clinical and laboratory assessment of the case.

Please feel free to write for any other clarification. Hope your father will be better soon.

Sukhvinder Singh

Follow-up: 91 years old. Receiving breathing treatment. Found high pulse rate. Concerned 1 hour later
Dr. Singh-Thank You my mind rests. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 minutes later
You are welcome Ma'm

It was my pleasure to be of some help to you.

Sukhvinder Singh