90 years old, on treatment for hyponatremia, hypokalemia and HT. Now affected with UTI. Can citralka be given?

Excellent

Question
patient aged 90 yrs old on treatment for hyponatremia and hypokalemia and HT. nw c s affected wid UTI. s it advicable for her to take citralka????
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Can give in diluted form.Monitor electrolytes

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through your query and understand your concern.

Yes you can give Citralka but in very diluted form. Alkalinisation of urine due to citralka relives discomfort in hypokalemia and citralka both can cause alkalosis. If her potassium level is low then stop giving this drug.

This is restricted in patients who are on a sodium or potassium restricted diet since this can cause alkalanization and also renal patients.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
Consult your doctor once for examination and management.

If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
I wish faster recovery and good health.