9 years old tested for thyroid. Gaining weight. What are the complications of high TSH level?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My nine year old was just test for thyroid issues. He has gained 22 lbsin a yr and only grew a fourth on an inch. dry skin and fatique. so we had him tested. His TSH was 150 and T3 was .3.... we are being referred to an endocrologist. I have thyroid issues too that developed in my forties... but my numbers have never been that high. I am just concerned that his are so high and it may impair his growth. Just on line seeking info. what complications couuld arrise at this high level of 150?
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Your daughter is having severe hypothyroidism. But since it has been diagnosed, now the levels of thyroid hormones can be maintained to near normal levels with the help of medicines.
Such low thyroid hormone levels do cause a severe growth retardation and a decreased mental development. At her age, any long term effects are not likely. All the symptoms are reversible with thyroid hormone supplementation. Thyroid supplements do produce immediate effects on the body; however the levels may take a few weeks to month to normalize.
She should avoid certain foods that include white flour products, white sugar, flesh foods, fried or greasy foods, preserves, condiments, tea, coffee and alcohol, all refined foods, pickles.

Iodine is undoubtedly most helpful in many cases, but it should be introduced in organic form. All foods containing Iodine should be taken liberally.

These are asparagus, cabbage, carrots, garlic, onion, oats, pineapple, whole rice, tomatoes, watercress, strawberries and Asparagus.

The protein foods should be confined to cheese, peas, beans, lentils and nuts. All flesh proteins must be avoided. Bananas, avocado, mango, sage herb help to stimulate the thyroid gland.
Spirulina also is good since it contains high amount of Iodine.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.